Monday 22 March 2010

Looking forward to playing live again

March 22 - Looking forward to playing live again.


Hey, don't strain your eyes unduly, larger poster over here


In real terms it might not be that long since our last gig (at the end of January) but it feels like a lifetime to me, and I am really excited to have another chance to play live appear on the horizon.

At the back end of last year we were probably playing at least two gigs a month in and out of Hull, and having a great time doing it. I think a few of the band - myself included - like to know where the next gig is coming from, and will happily put in calls and emails to make sure there is always something lined up.

We've calmed down quite a bit in 2010 when it comes to playing live. We've stopped making those calls and sending those emails - because for the moment at least we're making recording the priority.

Putting an album together is really exciting in itself, and I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into that, but this doesn't stop me loving playing live.

Happily enough we do have this one gig coming up - largely because we'd already started arranging it before we started our self-imposed gig fast - and I for one am delighted that it's getting closer. Only a month to go.

Aside from the fact that I can't wait to play again, I'm extra excited about this one because I'm looking forward to playing alongside the touring band, I think they are ace.

I saw tada tátà play at Landet in Stockholm at the end of December. I hadn't been convinced that I was going to get to the gig - I had erm... plans earlier that evening so I was pushed for time, it was a very cold night, I didn't really know where I was going or who would be there, and I hadn't heard any of the bands before.

But once I heard tada tátà, I got excited about them very quickly.


tada tátà (ducks not actually in the band)


They have this fantastic clean, bright sound, catchy songs full of, hooks, beats and ace lyrics and (this last bit might just be me) the right blend of innocence and darkness to make the hairs on my arms stand up.

It turned out I did have a few friends along at the gig that evening, and I got swept along by it, in the best possible way.

After their set I asked if there was any chance I could lure the band over to Hull for a gig at The Adelphi - they were very much up for it.

Talking about this with Mattias of Cosy we decided the gig in Hull should be part of a tour of the UK, which is what they are now going to be doing.

I'm hoping that if you're reading this you can be enticed to listen to the band's EP on their Myspace page.

I think they are fantastic enough that once you've heard them play, you'll be wanting to come along.

I'm also delighted that we were able to convince the always wonderful Mammal Hum to come along to play on the night, as they really are one of my favourite bands in Hull. I always enjoy watching them play massively - they are great fun, and I know we're going to have an ace evening all-around. But then anyone from Hull reading this doesn't need me to tell them how great Mammal Hum are.

Visual aid - here they are now:



As you gathered from the above, it's also looking like the only The Rocky Nest gig for some time too, and we'd love to see lots of you along there.

Here are the Facebook and LastFM pages for the event, if they are any use to you.

Tuesday, April 20.
The New Adelphi Club.
De Grey Street.
Hull.
Doors at 8pm.
£3-£4

- Jonny Nest

No comments:

Post a Comment